From Petr Sladek
RPG Maker is a software tool (or expansive series of programs) for the development of role-playing games (RPGs, for short).
List of RPG Maker versions.
- RPG Maker 95 - the first version for Microsoft Windows, higher screen resolution, and higher sprite and tile resolution
- RPG Maker 2000 (RM2K) - the most popular version so far, lower resolution sprites and tiles than RPG Maker 95
- RPG Maker 2003 (RM2k3 or RM2k/3) - improved version of RM2k, new side-view battle system (similar to Final Fantasy games)
- RPG Maker XP (RMXP) - uses Ruby programming language, front-view non-sprite battle system, Battle backgrounds
- RPG Maker VX (RMVX) - battle system similar to Dragon Quest or RM2k